Portsmouth Creates launches #CreateUpPompey colouring book

As a stakeholder for Portsmouth Creates, the University of Portsmouth is proud to announce of #CreateUpPompey, which was launched by the initiative as a direct response to the challenges that lockdown and Covid-19 have brought to the City.

Featuring art donated by Portsmouth’s very own brilliant artists, designers, illustrators, and communities, a colouring book was created to be distributed across the city. 1500 FREE Art packs have been created and are currently being distributed to those who need them most – working with charities and organisations such as The Hive, Women’s Refuge Services, British Red Cross, children’s homes and foster placements, Kings Church food bank to name but a few. These free art packs include the colouring book, colouring pencils and a pencil sharpener. The Colouring book includes work from 22 contributors and is also available to download (PDF) for free to print at home from the Portsmouth Creates website.

The goal was to create a collaborative and accessible art project for the people of Portsmouth. This art pack enables the community to discover some of Portsmouth’s brilliant artists, designers and illustrators, whilst taking part and sharing their own colourful versions of the artists’ work.

“The current situation can be challenging and worrying for many – but we are encouraged in the midst of it all by the generous and creative responses from many in our community seeking to support others. We are particularly grateful to Portsmouth Creates for the colouring books etc which we will share with children and adults to help to brighten their day and to help them to also be creative!” – Revd. Canon Bob White, Chair of the Board of Trustees for the HIVE Portsmouth

The idea was for Portsmouth’s adults and children alike to enjoy; both as mindfulness exercise (for all ages) or for children and families to have an additional activity. This is a colouring book for the Community – made by the Community. A chance to celebrate both your creativity and our cities creativity! In these unusual and challenging times, we hope that this art pack reminds us all to dream, hope, aspire – and believe #CreateUpPompey

“I’m delighted to see the first volume of Portsmouth Creates’ Community Artists Colouring Book and I’m very proud that it includes so many contributions from my brilliant colleagues at the University of Portsmouth. I hope it inspires everyone to take up their pencils and paints and I can’t wait to see what they come up with.” – Prof. Trevor Keeble, Executive Dean, Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries, University of Portsmouth

All of the artwork within the colouring book has been submitted by local artists from across the Community, including Angela Chick, My Dog Sighs, Fark, Pete Codling, Strong Island, Samo, as well as staff and alumni from the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries: Peta Tattersall (Faculty Manager), Rachel Homewood (Fashion & Textile Design Course Leadeer), foursandeights (Marie Cleaver – Graphic Design lecturer and Darren Page – Specialist Print Technician), David Leefe Kendon (Faculty Technical Advisor), Kremena Dimitrova (PhD student) and many more.

Peta Tattersall, a University member of staff and contributor to the book said: “As a creative person I know the value of the arts, and I know that Portsmouth has a fantastic creative community that adds so much to our city. Being able to contribute as part of this community during these really challenging times was important to me, in however small a way. If it helps relieve someone’s stress to any degree then it’s a contribution worth making. I count myself flattered to have been selected to be in such good company!”

My Dog Sighs, International Artist located in Portsmouth “It’s a fantastic project that I’m proud to be a part of. Art has always been my happy place and as a youngster I spent many hours colouring in. I hope this provides a creative outlet for all who access it.” 

Get Involved

We would also like to encourage everyone to post their coloured-in pages on social media using #CreateUpPompey and we’ll try to share as many of them as we can on our social media channels. There are also some very special art prizes available, courtesy of the University of Portsmouth, Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries.

Portsmouth Creates would also like to thank all of the wonderful artists, who have kindly contributed their artwork to this book. They would also like to thank our supporting organisations for making this possible – Arts Council England, Victorious Festival, Portsmouth County Council and the University of Portsmouth.

Website: portsmouthcreates.co.uk

Enquiries: info@portsmouthcreates.co.uk

Facebook: facebook.com/portsmouthcreates

Instagram: @portsmouthcreates

Twitter @portscreates

Hashtag: #portsmouthcreates

Leave your thought