The Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries (CCI) at the University of Portsmouth is delighted to announce a design competition aimed at CCI students. Students studying any creative course within the Faculty will have an opportunity to demonstrate their design skills in this competition. The prize is £1000*.
You are invited to design an innovative brand and eye-catching identity for the marketing materials for the CCI Graduate Show 2019. The annual show attracts more than 2000 visitors to Eldon Building and many more visitors online.
The CCI Graduate Show is one of the most important large scale events in the Faculty’s academic calendar and will give you an opportunity to let your creative practice shine.
The Faculty is seeking a high-quality concept and design that communicates through different print and digital media the creativity and ambitions of our graduates. Your design will be required for a card invite, portrait poster and landscape image for email. Additionally, designs will be required for visual communication on building signage, a map, the graduate show website, CCI TV and ‘show guide’ screen-printed t-shirts. Your design will be seen everywhere at show time!
All undergraduate students in the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries are eligible to enter the competition.
The competition is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1 – Submission of concepts. Include a mock-up poster and a digital proposal. Submit your design concept by midnight Wednesday 6th February 2019, attached to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, giving your full name, CCI course title, and year of study. A shortlist of 3 will be selected and mentored by Dr Mike Harkins, Senior Lecturer in Graphic Design.
Stage 2 – The 3 shortlisted candidates will present their final designs to the Strategic Graduate Show Planning Group at 2pm on 4th March 2019. The winner selected will continue to be mentored by Dr Mike Harkins, on all design elements through to completion of the final project. The winner must produce the final A1 poster, A5 invite and landscape image for social media for sign off by the Faculty and Marketing by Monday 18th March 2019. The remaining design work will be completed under Mike’s guidance over the following weeks.
- The winner at Stage 2 will receive £1000 on completion of the project. * Where a pair or group of designers are selected as the winner, the prize will be shared.
- The winning students name/s will appear on all materials, to be seen by a wide audience that is regional, national and international.
Stage 1 submission requirements
1. Each entrant must submit:
- A high resolution PDF mock-up of an A1 poster and mock-up of double-sided A5 invite
- A digital proposal for your design that clearly communicates the show identity for use on websites, emails, Eventbrite and social media.
- Your design must include the UoP logo which can be downloaded from this University marketing page.
- Please download the words to be used on the poster and invite design – Graduate Show 2019 – words for marketing assets.
- You may choose a free font from the CCI Font Library available from Eldon Digital Studios, Eldon South 1st floor. If you select a font from elsewhere, please note, only licensed fonts can be used for this competition, such as commercially-licensed free fonts available from Google Fonts and Fontsquirrel. (Any entries containing unlicensed downloaded fonts or images from the internet will not be accepted).
- There must be enough space on the back of the A5 invite design to include an address stamp (from top right hand corner – 100mm width X 40mm height).
- The final design will be printed on high quality matte paper and card.
- Competition guidance, contact email@example.com.
Members of the Graduate Show Strategic Planning Group, Dr Mike Harkins & Sarah Houghton, Graphic Design
The judges will be looking for originality and excellence. Your design must communicate the Faculty Graduate Show 2019 in a simple and dynamic way to student families, local communities, plus new audiences and existing partners in the creative industries. Your creative ideas must show a clear theme and include all elements described in the ‘Submission Requirements’. Your design should be a quality visual communication that distills the essence of what it is to graduate.
Other useful information
To view previous year’s winning designs (on posters, invites, t-shirts, building signage, maps) visit firstname.lastname@example.org in the Faculty Office in Eldon Building, room 0.98a. To learn more about last year’s Graduate Show in general, read the highlights from 2018.
Good luck and we look forward to receiving your entries!