The Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries (CCI) at the University of Portsmouth are looking for CCI students to take part in our annual design competition. Students studying any creative course will have an opportunity to demonstrate their design skills in this competition. The winner will visit a professional design studio as well as be rewarded with £250 to spend however they please.
You are invited to design an innovative brand and eye-catching identity for the marketing materials for the CCI Graduate Show 2017. The annual show attracts more than two thousand visitors to Eldon Building and many more visitors online.
The CCI Graduate Show is one of the most important large scale events in the Faculty’s academic calendar and will give you an opportunity to let your creative practice shine.
The Faculty are seeking a high quality design that can communicate the creativity and aims of the Graduate Show 2017, sending a message across different print and digital media.
Your design will be required for a card invite, portrait poster and PDF for email. Additionally a motif/element from your design will be required for visual communication on building signage, a map, ‘show guide’ t-shirts, the graduate show website and CCI TV. (Your design will be seen everywhere at show time!)
Full details are described in ‘Submission Requirements’ below.
Any student studying any subject in the CCI Faculty at the University of Portsmouth is eligible to enter the competition. Joint or small group applications for a single entry will be accepted (n.b. prize money will be shared).
If you are interested in taking part, then:
Register your interest: by Friday, 20th January 2017, in an email to email@example.com, giving your full name, CCI course title, and year of study.
Submit your final design: by Midnight, Monday, 6th March 2017, to include all elements described in ‘Submission Requirements’ below, attached to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A visit to leading cultural organisation and design studio Strong Island
- The winning student’s name will appear on all materials, which will be seen by a broad regional, national and international audience.
1. Each entrant must submit:
• A PDF converted to .jpeg – ready to embed into an email invite
• A high resolution PDF – ready for printing as a double-sided A5 invite on card
• A high resolution PDF – ready for printing as an A1 poster
• A motif or element from your design that can be used for various media that clearly communicates the identity. Please supply in the following formats:-
a) An .eps or .ai file for the Graduate Show 2017 website. For example, see last year’s site here, where you can how the design motif has been used. (For guidance contact email@example.com)
b) A full list of the colours used in your design both as HEX and RGB values (which is needed for the Graduate Show 2017 website)
c) A high res .ai file for building signage and a map
d) An .ai file of the design in separate layer elements, allowing it to be animated for TV usage (For guidance contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
e) An A4 digital file (maximum 3 colours, plus a black and white version) to be used for screen-printing on the ‘Show Guide’ t-shirts (For guidance contact email@example.com)
If you require any guidance on providing the elements described in the list a) to e) above, please do not hesitate to contact the people highlighted in the list or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The design must include the UoP logo which can be downloaded from here.
2. You may choose a free font from the CCI Font Library available from Eldon Digital Studios, Eldon South 1st floor. If you select a font from elsewhere, please note, only licensed fonts can be used for this competition, such as commercially-licensed free fonts available from Google Fonts and Fontsquirrel. (Any entries containing unlicensed downloaded fonts or images from the internet will not be accepted).
3. The words highlighted at the bottom of this page (below the line) must be included in your poster and invite design.
4. There must be enough space on the back of the design to include an address stamp (from top right hand corner – 100mm width X 40mm height).
5. The final design will be printed on high quality matte paper and card.
- Dean of CCI Faculty
- Sarah Houghton, BA (Hons) Graphic Design Course Leader
- Denise Callender, CCI Faculty Promotions Manager
- Tristan Savage, Strong Island Creative Director
The judges will be looking for originality and excellence. Your design must communicate the Faculty Graduate Show 2017 in a simple and dynamic way to student families, local communities, plus new audiences and existing partners in the creative industries. Your creative ideas must show a clear theme and include all aspects described in the ‘Submission Requirements’ above. Your design should be a quality visual communication that distils the essence of what it is to graduate.
Other useful information
The UoP Printing Services department carry a sample of in-house paper stocks and participating students are welcome to visit, to view suitable but cost effective materials, for your design. However, once the winning design is selected, the Faculty will work closely with you to select the right paper and card. It is recommended that you view last year’s winning design (on posters, invites, t-shirt, building signage, maps) which can be viewed in the Faculty Office, contact email@example.com. You can see last year’s design applied to the website here. To learn more about last year’s Graduate Show in general, click here.
Good luck and we look forward to receiving your entries!
|Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries Graduate Show 2017
Disciplines: Architecture; creative writing; design (fashion, interior, graphic, textiles, illustration); digital technologies (media, sound, games and animation); film production; music; performing arts; photography; television & broadcasting
Preview Evening: Friday, 2nd June 2017, 5-9pm
Includes screenings and live performances
Graduate Show 2017 continues Monday 5-9 June, 10am – 4pm
Free entry to the public
Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2DJ
CCI TV Live broadcast: www.ccichannel.port.ac.uk
Invite design by your name