Aspex Gallery are looking for an artist/maker to help convert a van into a mobile participation studio/base to a high standard for the gallery’s outreach programme.
Aspex has a 35-year track record of supporting emerging artists and engaging audiences, through the delivery of a programme of exhibitions, off-site projects and participatory opportunities. Artists such as Mona Hatoum, Richard Wilson and Susan Collis, all internationally acclaimed, received support from Aspex at an early point in their careers. This work has continued with projects including Emergency, an open submission biennial exhibition, offering key opportunities for artist exposure and professional development.
Since relocating to the waterfront at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth in 2006, the gallery has focused on finding ways to meaningfully engage its visitors by facilitating connections with artists and revealing the creative process. The participation programme provides activities for toddlers through to pensioners, and its work with children with Special Educational Needs and Autism has been described as exemplary.
Project Brief: Conversion of a van into a mobile participation studio/base.
Budget: £6,000 including fee and all materials (for interior conversion).
Deadline: 12 October 2016
• The van is a VW Crafter Highroof Panel Van (images & dimensions supplied)
• Main access in and out of the van will be via the side door and a small step to aid access will be fitted.
• The van will be dry lined with plywood.
• The exterior of the van will be fully liveried with Aspex logo etc.
• The interior of the van must be practical, functional and look fantastic.
• The interior length of the van (opposite the door) must provide cupboards/storage for art workshops materials of varying sizes – from paper to paintbrushes, screens for printing to pencils.
• An area of the van can be given over for display of leaflets and artworks, images etc.
• An area needs to be designed to ensure the safe storage of tables and chairs that will be removed from the van for workshop use.
Outline proposals and budget should be sent to email@example.com by 12 October 2016.