Rock Challenge® and J Rock™, who are based in Portsmouth, are responsible for organising a series of performing arts events which promotes healthy life choices. Schools and colleges from across the UK come together to share an eight-minute dance-drama performance of their own creation.
On the designated show day, the competing schools and colleges in that region assemble for a wonderfully friendly day of interaction, rehearsals and fun. In the evening they perform to an audience of their peers, families and community members, and their performances are judged by a panel of specialists from the performing-arts industry.
LOCATION OF VOLUNTEERING:
Portsmouth Guildhall & Southampton Guildhall
POSITION IS SUITABLE FOR THE FOLLOWING FACULTIES/ AREAS OF JOB INTEREST:
- Open to students form all faculties and course
- Those with a particular interest in Education, Childhood Studies, Nutrition, Health, Drama and Performance, Theatre, Sport and Exercise
- Those wanting to gain experience working with children
They are looking for volunteers to put on workshops during our J Rock™ event days for primary/junior schools (7-11years). The workshop format would be completely up to the volunteers and the workshops usually last around 40 minutes with 5/10 minutes gap between workshops.
The J Rock™ schools have expressed a preference for drama themed workshops; it would also be great if there are any ideas for healthier lifestyle themed ones which promote the ethos of the Rock Challenge® and J Rock™ events, or any other suggestions.
J Rock™ would schedule the workshops in advance and could inform of team sizes to allow the volunteer/s to prepare. Schools can involve up to around 100 in their team so would not be dealing with any more than this.
Volunteers can run the workshops independently, in pairs or as a group dependent on how confident the individual feels running the workshop.
TIME COMMITMENT & TRAINING:
26/27/28 February 2015
- One or Two workshops (depending on team sizes) the morning roughly between 10:45am -12:45pm
- One or Two workshops (depending on team sizes) in the afternoon 13:45pm-15:45pm
Saturday 28th March
- One or Two workshops (depending on team sizes) in the morning roughly between 11:15am-12:45pm
- One or Two workshops (depending on team sizes) in the afternoon 13:45pm-16:00pm
- Calm and understanding
- Active and encouraging
- Good Communication Skills
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply please send an expression of interest email to Sian Gardiner at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information from Purple Door contact Jane on: T: 023 9284 2703 E: Jane.Howe@port.ac.uk
Please state the day you would like to volunteer and the subject you would like to do your workshop on. When you apply please state that you are a University of Portsmouth student.
This is advertised by Purple Door until 20 February