The Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries (CCI) at the University of Portsmouth are delighted to announce a significant new design competition open to CCI students.
The competition provides an opportunity for students from a variety of creative backgrounds to demonstrate their creative skills. The winning entrant will be offered a visit to a design studio where they will meet experienced professionals as part of their prize.
To design an innovative brand and identity for the marketing materials for the CCI Graduate Show 2015, that attracts hundreds of visitors to the Eldon Building site and thousands of visitors online. The CCI Graduate Show is the most important large scale event in the academic calendar and will give you an opportunity to let your creative practice shine.
The Faculty are seeking a high quality design that can communicate the creativity and aims of the Graduate Show 2015, sending a message across different print and digital media.
The design will be required for a card invite, portrait poster and email invite.
Aspects of the identity created by entrants will also be required for visual communication on building signage and a map, the Graduate Show website, CCI TV and for screen printing on Show Volunteer t-shirts.
Full details are described in ‘Submission requirements’.
Any student studying any subject in the CCI Faculty at the University of Portsmouth is eligible to enter the competition.
- Professor Catherine Harper, Dean of CCI Faculty
- Claire Brookes, Head of Corporate Communications
- Sarah Houghton, BA (Hons) Graphic Design Course Leader
- Denise Callender, CCI Faculty Promotions Manager
- Bruce Jamieson, Designer at award winning design studio, I love Dust
The judges will be looking for originality and excellence. Your design must communicate the Faculty Graduate Show 2015 in a simple and dynamic way to new audiences and existing partners in the creative industries. Your creative ideas must show a clear theme and include all aspects described in the submission requirements. Your design should be a quality visual communication that distils the essence of what it is to graduate.
All design elements described in Submission Requirements should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight, Sunday 1st March 2015. If you are interested in taking part, you should register, giving your full name, course being studied in CCI, and year of study, by 17th January in an email to email@example.com.
- A visit to award winning design studio I love Dust
- The winning student’s name will appear on all materials, which will be seen by a broad regional, national and international audience.
Each entrant must submit:
- a PDF converted to .jpeg ready to embed into an email invite
- a high resolution PDF for printing on a double-sided A5 card invite
- a high resolution PDF for an A1 poster
- An aspect or element of your design will also be required for
- the Graduate Show 2015 website in an .eps or .ai file (see last year’s site here)
- building signage to be produced by Corporate Communications in a high res .ai file
- a map produced by CCI in a high res .ai file
- CCI TV in a landscape .ai file (1920 x 1080 pixels using a RGB colour palette preferred, for guidance contact Charlie Watts)
- for screen-printing on ‘Show Volunteer’ t-shirts in a digital file initially (maximum size A4, 3 colours maximum, plus a black and white version. Other methods of printing will be considered. For guidance contact Jo.firstname.lastname@example.org)
The UoP Printing Services department carry a sample of in-house paper stocks and participating students are welcome to visit to view suitable but cost effective materials for your design. However, once the winning design is selected, we will work with you to select the paper.
The design must include the UoP logo which can be downloaded from here.
As an example, a high quality suite of design elements created for the identity of last year’s show can be viewed in the Faculty Office, contact email@example.com. To learn more about last year’s show, click here.
Only licenced fonts can be used for this competition. Any entries containing downloaded fonts or images from the internet will not be accepted.
The words to be included on the invite must include the following:-
Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries Graduate Show 2015
School of Architecture
School of Art and Design
School of Creative Arts, Film and Media
School of Creative Technologies
Creative technologies, creative and media writing, games and animation, architecture, art, design and photography, building conservation, music and performing arts, media , film and television
Preview Evening: Friday, 29th May 2015, 5-9pm
Includes Screenings, Live Performance and a Fashion Show
Graduate Show 2015 continues Monday 1 June until 5 June, 10am – 4pm
Free entry to the public
Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2DJ
CCI TV Live broadcast: www.ccichannel.port.ac.uk
Invite design by ………