Everything starts with a story – A Talk by David Longshaw

“Throughout my time studying fashion at St Martins and the Royal College of Art, to designing in Italy and starting my own label, everything I have designed has started with a story. I bring narratives to life through Illustrations and animations which inform the silhouette, colour palette and print for my collections. In this talk I shall discuss my design background and my creative practice, from initial research through to final products.” – David Longshaw

About

After graduating from London’s Royal College of Art in 2007 David received a flurry of press attention and nominations for International Awards (ITS6, Trieste, Le Vif Weekend, Belgium, Cove Park, Scotland) and secured a design position at Alberta Ferretti before showcasing his final collection. Following this position David worked at the internationally acclaimed label Max Mara to gain valuable insight into the industry prior to starting his own fashion label, which launched in 2010.

The debut collection was a resounding success and David was selected for the ‘Ones To Watch’ catwalk show, Vauxhall Fashion Scout and invited to exhibit with the British Fashion Council.

David has been shortlisted for a number of awards, including being named as one of the ‘Designers To Watch 2011’ by vogue.com and one of ‘The Rising Stars of 2011’ by ELLE. With not only a natural talent for fashion, but also for illustration (winner of the Colin Barnes Drawing Prize 2005) he has contributed to a number of publications (including vogue.com, the LFW newspaper and Fashion156.com) and uses his illustrations and story writing as a starting point for his collections. Maude is the fabric fashion mouse made originally by David Longshaw whilst at St Martin’s. Made of 100% cashmere, the finest available, given to David by the Savile Row tailor Richard James, Maude has been described by British Vogue (September 2011) as ‘Longshaw’s long standing cult creation.’ Maude has become a Fashion icon in her own right.

He has also created ‘Francesca & Arthur’ a weekly comic strip for Vogue Italia (vogue.it)

“I love David’s ability to illustrate and design, and his lateral thinking on pattern and print. His designs have the potential for you to say, ‘That’s a David Longshaw dress’,” – Lorraine Candy, ELLE Editor-in-Chief.

‘Romantic, determined and with a fervid imagination. The young designer David Longshaw is all these things and more, and his qualities come through in his clothes.’ – Vogue Italia

The Everything starts with a story talk is a public learning event that accompanies the Textile Tales and Fashion Fables exhibition in Space.

Members of the public should book their place by contacting space@port.ac.uk

Supported using public funding by Arts Council England.

Print

Leave your thought