Katherine-Jayne Watts wins Graduate Fashion Week’s Sports and Leisurewear Award

The University of Portsmouth, Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries, is proud to share the news that Katherine-Jayne Watts has won the Graduate Fashion Week’s Sports and Leisurewear Award for her final year collection, The Last Breath. 

Katherine said:

“I was shocked to be shortlisted for 2 awards at Graduate Fashion Week and very pleased to win the award for Sports and Leisurewear.

My collection, The Last Breath, reflects the essence of the sea by using materials that all have a connection with the sea. In my collection, I have combined old life jackets with the sails my grandfather once used and re-purposed old boat fenders into bags. I used old nautical charts of the coastal marshes on the Essex/Suffolk coast as inspiration for my printed fabrics.

I would like to thank all the lecturers and staff at the University for their help and encouragement in creating my final collection. Also, special thanks to Jeremy Dale, Managing Director of SeaSafe Systems Ltd, for all his support in providing me with old life jackets and material off-cuts.”

To see a full list of all award winners, visit the Graduate Fashion Week website

Leave your thought