Jessica Burton wins Graduate Show Design Competition

The Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries are excited to announce the winner of the Graduate Show Design Competition. Jessica Burton, BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design student at the University of Portsmouth, has won the competition with her design concept – In the Pipeline.

” I am delighted that my design was chosen for the Graduate Show and am really enjoying the development process so far. As an Interior Architecture Student I have pushed my Graphic ability, whilst incorporating my love for 3D design. I hope my concept, ‘In the Pipeline,’ will attract attention and serve as an exciting talking point for the 2019 Show.”  – Jessica Burton

In the Pipeline – the concept:

“The wide variety of experiences and hectic ‘journey’ of university is represented by the variety of colours and shapes used in the 3D compositions. University is a very diverse place, and the bold text and dark background suggests confidence. The light in the box on the main poster is to represent the graduates” Jessica explained.

See her full poster design here.

Jessica’s Story

“My course (Interior Architecture and Design) stood out from any other university I had looked at because it combined technical architectural study with creative interior design.  I was also really impressed by the facilities and lecturers on the open day I came to, was intrigued by the connections the university had with industry, and attracted to the prospect of doing a Placement year.

The highlights of my course so far include being nominated for the Women in Property award 2018, visiting the Biennale in Venice and winning best portfolio in IAD, two years in a row.

I am currently on a placement at a company called VMGraphics, who specialise in visual merchandising and prop-making for the high-end retail industry. I’m really enjoying my time here and working in a small team means that the responsibilities I have been given far exceeded my expectations, and have allowed me to build up a varied Portfolio of works. On a day to day basis, I am using 2D and 3D visual software which has greatly advanced my skills in these. I also carry out site surveys and work with a variety of interior spaces from store windows to pop up events.

In the Pipeline represents the progression and journey of a student, right through to graduation and beyond. It implies that graduation is but a part of their journey and that they will continue to explore and develop. The colours and vibrant aesthetic are celebratory, and I wanted the composition to have a retro feel, to suggest nostalgia and to reflect their time at Portsmouth.”

Look out for Jessica’s design, In the Pipeline, on the 2019 Graduate Show website.

Registration for the Graduate Show 2019 is now live! Click here to register where you can also sign up for a personal invitation.  

#GraduateShow2019

Leave your thought