UoP alumnus Kye Wilson shares his success story

The Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries shares, University of Portsmouth alumnus, Kye Wilson’s moving image artwork Angel:legnA will be shown as part of “POST DIGITAL STAR” the 10th edition of MADATAC video art and new media audio-visual art festival.

Angel:legnA employs the motifs and working methods of celebrated film-maker Andrei Tarkovsky to explore collective human experience.

Kye Wilson is an award-winning visual artist and film-maker who uses moving image to create films, video art and installations, including multi-disciplinary, site-specific, and live artworks. His works have been performed, exhibited and screened nationally and internationally.

Why did you choose to study at the University of Portsmouth?

”I researched a variety of courses and places of study in the Hampshire region and London. I chose Portsmouth as the course criteria fitted with my practice and the lecturers had lots of professional creative industry experience.”

What were the highlights of your course?

”Having time to read lots of books and to continue my own creative practice at a higher level. Highlights included critical engagement with fellow students, guest speaker lectures and in particular the one-to-one tutorials with my lecturers Ergin Çavuşoğlu and Ken Devine.”

How has your qualification helped you to get a job/progress your career?

”My qualification has helped progress my career by giving me the confidence to continue with my creative practice and research. Transferable skills gained on my Master’s Degree has enabled me to continue to work on creative activities in the UK and abroad, including self-initiated projects/commissions and assisting other artists/organisations with their own ventures. Since graduation, I have also become self-employed as this seems the best way to sustain a living as a professional creative practitioner.”

Are you working on any collaborative projects?

”My current project involves collaborating with a variety of experts and academics in the field of Virtual Reality (VR) in England and abroad. I will be using this medium as an art form, as opposed to just an emerging technological tool and provision of content.”

Have you won any awards or been nominated or shortlisted? 

”Recent awards include an Arts Council England grant that enabled me to create a new moving-image film/artwork ‘Angel:legnA’.  In addition to awards, commissions and residencies, I enjoy giving talks about funding and my work at galleries and universities, including a talk last year at Southampton Solent University about the unique creative process behind the ‘Angel:legnA’ work.”

You can learn more about Kye’s creative practice at his website.

Leave your thought