Placement Award Nominee – Ben Edwards

The Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries Placement Awards, at the University of Portsmouth, were given out this week by Simon Brookes, Associate Dean for Students. Simon congratulated the award nominees as well as stating he is impressed with anyone who completes a student placement. One nominee was Ben Edwards.

BA (Hons) Graphic Design – Ben Edwards

I chose to study in Portsmouth because I like the way the university is throughout the centre of Portsmouth, feels more integrated with everyone else, rather than campus universities. Also the basement has a really good studio environment. Being by the seafront was also another reason, adds something extra to the feel of being here.

There’s also a strong availability of support when needed as well as dependable resources such as; the library, screen-printing, letterpress & EPC workshops.

As well as my aspiring interest in Graphic Design, my hobbies include watching Formula 1 and playing Ice Hockey.

I was appointed a placement as a designer at Fresh Relevance in Southampton who specialise in personalising media platforms for digital marketers.

I was instantly a valued member of the Fresh Relevance team and their excitement to get going mirrored my own. The responsibility I was given throughout my time gave me great confidence, this was something I thrived on and will take with me into my 3rd year studies.

Spending the whole year there gave me the time and opportunity to explore software that I wouldn’t necessarily have had the confidence to use during the all important 3rd year. Overall, my placement year allowed me to create new contacts, try new things & build confidence.

I had a fantastic year, while still living with all my university friends! I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending a placement year to anyone who wants to gain invaluable experience and help themselves stand out from others when applying to graduate roles.

Fresh Relevance said:

Ben has been at the forefront of our company brand’s growth and evolution. We look forward to having Ben back in a part-time capacity while he completes his University Degree. We just can’t let him go! Ben has been key to many of our large projects this year, to the extent that you wouldn’t know he was a placement student.’

To apply for a placement visit creative careers for more information.

Leave your thought