The Music Department at the University of Portsmouth is a non-academic one, and so the students who participate in our ensembles do so purely because they want to! The Department offers a wide range of activities for students who are interested in music, regardless of which degree they are studying for. If you are interested in joining a diverse group of people read on.
The department do their best to include everybody and keep auditions to a minimum. So for the Choir and the Dramatic & Musical Society (DMS), no experience is required and there is no entry audition.
- For the Orchestra, we need to audition wind players because we have more players than vacancies, but the auditions are very short and informal.
- For string players there is no audition (grade 5 minimum suggested).
- The Big Band also has more players than vacancies so holds informal auditions.
- For the Concert Band, some experience is desirable but there are no auditions; all woodwind and brass are needed, as well as percussionists and bass guitar.
There is a small annual fee to participate in an ensemble or use the practice rooms; £10 for the instrumental ensembles and £20 for the vocal ensembles. There are three ways to join an ensemble:
- Sign up at the Freshers’ Fayre (Wednesday 19th September)
- E-mail or come and see me anytime (White Swan Building 2.05)
- Come along to the first rehearsal of the relevant ensemble
Woodwind/brass/percussion players wishing to join the orchestra should arrange an audition time with Colin Jagger, for the 20th or 21st September. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 023 9284 3013
Each ensemble rehearses every week on the same day. The first rehearsals are as follows:
- Big Band – Monday 24th September, 6.15-8.30pm, White Swan 3.03
- DMS – Tuesday 25th September, 6.30-9.30pm, White Swan Studio 1 (tba)
- Concert Band – Tuesday 25th September, 6.30-8.30pm, White Swan 3.03
- Choir – Wednesday 19th September, 5.00-7.30pm, Eldon Building, EW 1.11
- Orchestra – Thursday 27th September, 6.30-8.30pm, White Swan 3.03
If you join, we are delighted to let you know about the first concerts you will be performing in:
Monday 8th October – 7.30pm Guildhall – first in our international chamber music series
Saturday 1st December – Orchestra/Concert Band
Sunday 2nd December – Choir
28th Feb-2nd March – DMS/Orchestra Production (Cinderella)
For those interested in private practice, we have limited practice facilities in the White Swan Building (all with pianos) which are open Mon-Thur 8am-8pm, Fri 8am-6pm.
If you are a member of staff interested in joining the Music Department, we’d love to hear from you too!