MA Illustration Student Wins Santander Mobility Award

The University of Portsmouth, Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries is thrilled to share the success of MA Illustration student Livy Nelson who has won a Santander Mobility Award.

Below in her own words is how Livy made use of the travel grant that she was awarded:

I feel extremely fortunate that I was one of the lucky winners of the Santander Mobility Award! This award gave me the funding I needed to visit the Swiss Alps, home to the origin of our modern love of mountains.

I decided to visit Grindelwald, a village under the North-Face of the famous Eiger mountain. I thought this would be an ideal area to do observational drawing of mountains. I wasn’t wrong. I was only there for 3 nights and honestly wanted to stay there for ever. I even stared planning my return after visiting a bar called Avocado and deciding that this would be the ideal place for me to work.

In case you’re curious, this is what I wrote for my submission:

I am currently studying my MA in Illustration where I am exploring mountains and our relation to them through the sublime. This project came from a love of the mountains themselves and I am drawing on my own experience having spent a part of my life in the French and Italian Alps.

However, it has been some time since I was there and I am relying on memory as well as second hand research to connect with my project. It would be extremely beneficial at this point, to be able to revisit them with my project in mind so that I may gain more clarity and observations surrounding the sublime. I plan on making observational drawings of the mountains themselves, as well as taking note of my own emotional state.

I am grateful for the opportunity to apply for funding as I have looked at costs and I would not be able to afford this journey on my own. I have calculated that it would cost approximately £730, this includes return flights, return train transfer from Zurich to Grindelwald and accommodation in Grinderlwald. I know that this opportunity will allow me to develop my studies by allowing myself to be immersed within the mountains and perhaps experience that extreme emotional point we know as the sublime.

Here are some of the sketchbook observations I made whist I was in Grindelwald, that will now inform the final stages of my MA Illustration Major Project:

Image Credits: Livy Nelson

Katie Clarke

Katie Clarke is a Media Studies Student, currently on her Placement Year, working as Promotions Assistant for the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries, at the University of Portsmouth.

Leave your thought