Cheltenham Festivals is looking for friendly, hard-working and enthusiastic volunteers. Volunteers will be needed from Tuesday 3rd July, to Monday 16th July to help with all aspects of running a successful festival.
This would be a valuable experience especially for those passionate about arts administration, events management and music management.
In return for the volunteers’ hard work, UK travel expenses are paid and shared apartment accommodation is provided if not local, as well as a small contribution to living costs. You will also receive a free Cheltenham Festivals T-shirt to wear during the festival and to keep.
In addition to this there is the opportunity to get behind the scenes at a famous festival, with a chance to see great events for free!
The work involved can be demanding, but a combination of a great team, and a lot of variety is tasks, means that no day is ever boring, and this is a hugely enjoyable experience.
For more information on the festival, and to submit your application visit the Cheltenham Festivals website. The deadline for applications is Tuesday 3rd April.
The roles available, and the tasks they include are listed below.
Front of House:
- Welcoming audiences to the venue
- Queue management
- Stewarding and directing audience members to their seats
- Selling Programme books, CDs and other merchandise
- Assisting audience members with enquiries
Artist Liaison/Dressing Room Assistant:
- Maintaining the dressing rooms/artist space
- helping to distribute welcome packs
- Attending rehearsals and being on hand for any questions or requests
Stage Support and Venue Preparation:
- Preparing the stage for performance – laying out chairs for an orchestra, moving pianos, or setting up for talks
- Assisting with get-ins and load-outs
- Changing over music stands or chairs during the intervals or between pieces
- Page Turning
- Liaise with external people such as venue staff, piano tuners, and the BBC to help events run smoothly
- Drives could include artists/speakers, crew, volunteers, staff, or kit
- Driving Festival Cars (if applicable)
Volunteers are asked to commit to the role full time during the duration of the festival, working hours during the festival are long and tiring. Days can start at 8am and don’t finish until the last event has finished, sometimes as late as 11pm.
The Cheltenham Music Festival team are looking for highly motivated and reliable volunteers who will be happy to do whatever task is required of them. Volunteers will need to have good teamwork skills, initiative, and the stamina to work long hours . A passion for music, experience with ensembles and/or skills in event management would be a plus!
Volunteering at Cheltenham Music Festival is a good opportunity for anyone considering a career in arts administration, or events management, and is a great thing to have on your CV! Previous volunteers have gone on to work in all sectors of the arts, including classical music agencies, Wigmore Hall, and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
To apply, fill out the application form on the Cheltenham Festivals website, deadlines for applications is Tuesday 3rd April, and the first round of interviews will take place over two weeks beginning on 9th April.