Alumna has e-book published!

Lorraine Dancer, graduate of the University of Portsmouth‘s BA (Hons) Education and Training Studies and MA Creative Writing, has had an e-book published. 

Lorraine, who graduated from her MA in 2016, enjoys writing stories for children and had her picture book published this year.

Lots of Fish is now available on Amazon.

Lorraine explains that after studying her undergraduate degree at Portsmouth, the University was her first choice for a Masters.

“I enjoyed the Creative Writing course immensely,” says Lorraine. “There were many areas of the course that were interesting and beneficial to me – I write poetry, picture books and rhymes.  It was great to share and critique work with fellow students.”

Lorraine says that she was initially apprehensive as a mature student, but after receiving positive feedback and advice her confidence grew and she felt much more comfortable on the course.

Lorraine joined the Portsmouth Writers hub whilst at University, and has kept in contact with Course Leader Holly Howitt-Dring about her writing since graduating.

“Gaining my qualification has given me the confidence to pursue a career in writing,” says Lorraine. “I write daily and have recently self-published a children’s picture book, ‘Lots of Fish,’ on Amazon.  It is an illustrated rhyme about a boy swimming in the sea.  I have received some really positive feedback and am now looking to publish in print.”

Lorraine is temporarily working part time for Simply Supply, an educational childcare agency, which allows her to concentrate on her writing and other projects.

At the moment, Lorraine says she is focusing on her current projects but will be looking to study further in the future.

“I am currently in the idea stages of starting a Social Enterprise,” she says. “I have a background in Early Years and wanted to combine this with my writing.  I attended a couple of the ‘Route to start up’ workshops with Purple door and found the resources, information and support very helpful.”

With regards to the MA, Lorraine says:

“If you like to write, this course is for you. The MA delivers various strands of writing: Novel writing, Flash fiction, Poetry and Screen writing.  It provides an opportunity to explore and experiment with your own writing, and you’ll learn and gain new skills that will enable you to grow as a writer.”

You can see examples of Lorraine’s work at lorraine-dancer.com

Leave your thought