Graphic Design students feature in top 10 for New Designers

BA (Hons) Graphic Design 2016 graduating students, Ryan Robinson and Harry Lewis Irlam, have been featured in the top ten for New Designers on Digital Arts.

Now graduates of the University, Ryan and Harry exhibited their final year projects at the New Designers Part Two which took place in early July 2016. Both students have been added to the programmes top ten list for Digital Arts.

Ryan has also won the Guildhall Graduate Award 2016, exhibiting his final year project at Portsmouth Guildhall from 25th July – 30th September in the Freda Swain Business Lounge. The exhibition is open to the public on weekdays from 9am – 5pm and Saturdays from 10am – 2pm.

Ryan describes the process to his project: “Having been initially interested in the subject of hip hop through my love of the music, I decided to explore the topic further for my major project, looking at every aspect of the culture (music, art, fashion and dance) before focusing in on a certain aspect. After an extensive research period, I finally settled on hip hop’s relationship with politics and authority. I felt that my research gave me a strong overview of the 3 topic areas, and enabled me to properly investigate the subjects through graphic design.”

The book [Ryan’s final project] was a great, yearlong project to work on and something which, although proved tricky to put together in the final stages, turned out to be my favourite project of the year. To date, I have been fortunate enough to win three awards for the book, and have been complimented on it by various industry employers and experts who viewed it at our London show at New Designers. One of these industry experts included Digital Arts magazine, of which I was featured in an online article as one of their top eight designers at the show.”

If you are interested in viewing Ryan’s work, contact the Guildhall for access times or visit at reception beforehand.

In addition to this success, Graphic Design students, Lauren Chivers, Zoe Fouracre, Adora Holcroft, Zoe Kittow and Jay Ma, from the University of Portsmouth have been featured on The Design Council’s Design Academy Graduate Show page.

On behalf of CCI, would would like to congratulate all graduating Graphic Design students and wish them the very best of luck in the future.

Leave your thought