Are you interested in Fairtrade? Would you like to help farmers and producers in the developing world to get a fair deal for their products, and to secure a sustainable livelihood for their communities.
If so, Gosport Fairtrade Action would appreciate your help in promoting Fairtrade in the Borough of Gosport. We are a campaigning group working locally with businesses and residents in Gosport encouraging people to buy and use fairly traded products. Our activities are varied and provide a real sense of achievement knowing that we are helping to improve the lives of people in the developing world, and working towards a more sustainable world for us all.
Working with the Borough Council we have achieved and maintained the Fairtrade Borough status for Gosport. For more information about us go to our website and then choose the Gosport page.
Location of position:
The majority of our committee meetings (usually monthly) are held in one of the Committee Rooms in the Town Hall in the High Street, Gosport, Hampshire PO12 1EB. In addition we arrange events in a number of public venues including the Gosport Discovery Centre.
The position is suitable for the following:
- Open to students from all faculties and courses
- Those with a particular interest in social media and press release
- Those wanting to gain experience promoting an organisation through various media
- Those interested in Fairtrade
- Those wanting to volunteer for their local community
- Writing press releases for the local media about our activities (for such as newspapers, Gosport Borough Council publications, local church or community newsletters, radio, television and e-news).
- Ensuring that we make good use of Twitter and our Facebook page.
- Attending our committee meetings to help to monitor activities and to share in decision making about publicity.
- Liaising with Reporters and developing an understanding of what they are likely to publish, issuing press releases, and following up.
- Researching publications and outlets for potential publicity (such as local advertising magazines that are circulated monthly or quarterly: identifying opportunities for promoting Fairtrade).
- This is flexible, though it would be very useful if the Press & Social Media Officer is able to attend our committee meetings (rarely more often than once per month, held in the Town Hall and lasting no more than 1.5 hours).
- It will also be beneficial for the volunteer to attend events that we organise (at the moment not more than a few each year).
- Other aspects of the work can be done at the convenience of the Officer. On the job training will willingly be offered, as needed.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Good writing skills with clear, accurate and succinct English (training on writing press releases can be provided)
- Good IT skills, including word processing;
- The ability to work to deadlines;
- The ability to work as an integral member of our team;
- A commitment to the goal of promoting Fairtrade;
- Good social skills, a friendly manner and patient persistent determination;
- Adaptability and imagination.
An in-depth knowledge of Fairtrade is not expected, but we do hope that you will know what it stands for.
How to apply:
To apply for this role please send an up to date CV and cover letter to David Bloodworth on: email@example.com