CCI graduate raises money for Childrens Hospital

A BSc (Hons) Digital Media graduate from the University of Portsmouth recently raised money for Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital, of which she combined the charity event with her dissertation.

Hayley Sexton decided to base her dissertation on Project Management, Project Management Methodologies and Digital Marketing. She chose to raise money for the Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity at the start of her project, after carrying out some research into the work the charity does for its patients.

Hayley said about the event “I have run similar events in the past for Help for Heroes and The Rowans Hospice, but I liked the fact that a charity could benefit as well as me working through my units to complete my degree.”

As an active member of the University’s basketball team, Hayley has organised many events such as basketball tournaments involving current students and alumni. However as this was for her dissertation she wanted to go bigger and better so decided to involve other sports teams in the Athletic Union.

“In the summer I watched the charity event ‘Soccer Aid’ and this is where I got the idea for my event” said Hayley “I placed the basketball players as the ‘Professionals’ and then asked players from Cricket, Athletics and Lacrosse to be the ‘Celebrities’ – one men’s game and one women’s game.

The event was a great success and I was really happy with the feedback about the day that I received from the players. I have recently visited the Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity in London and they were extremely pleased with the donation of £373.33 and told me that it will be a massive help to the hospital and its patients.”

Leave your thought