CCI Fashion and Textiles Design with Enterprise graduate gains great job opportunity

A BA (Hons) Fashion and Textiles Design with Enterprise graduate student has gained a permanent role working for Elaine Hooley Studio.

Kirsty Wright’s fashion career got off to a flying start when she entered the Beta Fashion competition as a student and won! Kirsty explains how she decided to enter the competition because she loved the sound of the brief which was Noah’s Ark, as well as the prize of £300 and the chance to have her design sold online and in store at Topshop.

“I decided to base my print on the armadillo, not only because of their rarity within textiles, but also because of the interesting shapes and detailing there was to draw. After composing my motif I had to think about styles and colours, so I read up on different myths surrounding the Ark. A story that particularly grabbed my attention was that of how Turkey was the final resting place of the Ark. In response to this I began looking at traditional Turkish patterns that inspired me to finish of my print in rich colours and circular compositions.”

After winning the competition, Kirsty landed herself an internship at Hale, thanks to the local publicity that her competition received. Alumna Kelly Dedman who is a senior designer at Hale saw her design and immediately contacted Kirsty about a vacancy at Elaine Hooley Studio and now she has a permanent role working for Elaine Hooley Studio.

Kirsty talks about what a typical day is like as a designer. “Every day is different, but in general most days are fast paced, working on a few designs a day or spending a couple of days working on just one premium design. Our schedules mostly revolve around our clients – they may give us a couple of weeks to come up with a collection, or will ask for something to be designed and approved in one single day. Apart from designing, a lot of time is spent meeting with clients and keeping up to date with catwalk and high street trends. Once a design has been approved, we also have to go through the process of deciding what garments are going to be composed of in every detail, colour matching and then sampling. Overall the whole process from design to manufacture is rather long.”

Kirsty’s aspiration for the future is to gain lots of experience to move up into a higher role. “Eventually I would love to see myself as a self-established designer launching my own brand.”

Good luck Kirsty and great news that our alumni are helping graduates find work!

Leave your thought